Wednesday, February 15, 2017

MILLENNIALS ARE LAZY, BUT WHY?

MILLENNIALS ARE LAZY, BUT WHY?
Eulas Kirtdoll

Hi Friends,
This post is not a class assignment.  It is a discussion post that I posted to Holland Turner's week six discussion post for our Second Discussion Leadership Assignment:

In my opinion millennials are reaping the benefits of the unprecedented technological advances that have taken place in the last 100 years.  No other generation has had the proverbial silver spoon placed in their mouth from birth like this generation.  Life has never been easier for those in the Western world.  Millennials live lives that kings could not have imagined, and they are doing this while enjoying their youth.  As a baby boomer, I think my perspective on life mirrors the reality that today's world of technology is new.  It is almost as young as the millennials themselves.  Millennials lack that perspective,
I say the above as a foreword to my belief that millennial laziness is a real thing.  We are talking about a generation that seriously considers having robots clean for them.  My point is that the millennial generation has options no other generation before them has had.  These options put information and services at their fingertips in an unprecedented way.  In my opinion this makes laziness easy.  I am not saying laziness is bad.  

I am saying that it is easier to enjoy for those in the millennial generation who cognitively  don't understand a world where you have to do things without question.  Our fore-parents were too busy to have to explain a lot of detail.  They simply expected their underlings to get it done.  The laziness of millennials represents the increased leisure time afforded by technological advances that permit them to have more free time.  Because they value their free time, they don't want to lose any of it.  Therefore, they won't give up their free time without detailed explanations of anything that takes the free time away.  This presents itself as laziness, when in fact it is simply the desire to protect the lifestyle millennials feel they are entitled too.  This lifestyle, by the way, has been presented to them on a silver platter with a silver spoon (and embroidered linen).  They did little to earn it.
I enjoyed your post, Holland.  I agree that the advent of cross platform technology bridges a gap.  In my post for this assignment, the technology I focused on was also cross platform technology.  I think that innovators have realized (partly through listening to the research data coming from Strategic Communications researchers) that the impediment to progress today is the many barriers that inhibit communication across technologies.  Eventually the barriers will be eliminated.  The tower of Babel will be dust.  Uninhibited communication will be the global reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment